Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Capital, Capitol.

Capital and Capitol. These two words used to confuse me to no end when I was younger. I soon learned that both were locations, but one referred to an actual building.

This Fall break, I get to see both! You know, the Capital and the Capitol.

The Mercyhurst History Department is hosting a trip for students in certain classes over this break, and on Thursday morning we'll be leaving for our nation's capital: Washington, DC! It's one of my absolute favorite places to go and I'm incredibly stoked to get back there. And of course, we'll be swinging by the Capitol Building at some point.

It's just yet another awesome reason that I love my small school--more opportunities to take trips and get some experiential learning to augment what I learn in class. I'm going for my Public History class. So, for the past few weeks, we've been discussing Public History theory and methods, and now it will be so interesting to apply what we learn to the trip.

It's one thing to tour Washington, DC as a tourist, but I get to look at our nation's capital from a historical and critical standpoint and analyze how well our American history is presented!

I know, it sounds enthralling. Well, to a history dork anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment